SECTION 105613 (10675) – METAL LIBRARY SHELVING (Case-Type)
1. Metal Components and Accessories: All shelving components including accessories shall be finished with an electrostatically applied Gloss-Tek™ powder coat as outlined in Section 2.5 A and B.
2. Laminate End Panels and Tops: Select from manufacturer’s standard high-pressure and low-pressure laminate finishes as outlined in Section 2.5 C.
C. Sizes: Per manufacturer’s standard offering as outlined in Section 1.5.
1.5 PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
1. A minimum of _____ linear shelf inches must be provided. Consult drawing for plan view and elevation details.
2. Available in standard heights of 40-1/4 inches (1022 mm), 64-1/4 inches (1632 mm), 76-1/4 inches (1937 mm), 85-1/4 inches (2165 mm), 88-1/4 inches (2242 mm), 97-1/4 inches (2474 mm), 100-1/4 inches (2546 mm), and 121-1/4 inches (3080 mm). Other heights shall be available variable on 1-1/2 inch (38 mm) increments as required to meet application needs.
3. Available in nominal widths of 24 inches (610 mm), 30 inches (762 mm), 36 inches (914 mm), 42 inches (1067 mm), and 48 inches (1219 mm).
4. Available in nominal depths of 9 inches (229 mm), 10 inches (254 mm), 12 inches (305 mm), 13 inches (330 mm), 15 inches (381 mm), 16 inches (406 mm), 18 inches (457 mm), 20 inches (508 mm), 24 inches (610 mm), 26 inches (660 mm), and 30 inches (762 mm).
B. Seismic Performance: Provide case-type metal shelving capable of withstanding the effects of earthquake motion as required by applicable building codes.
B. Drawings: Provide layout of shelving including notations and descriptions. Provide dimensional drawings of all shelving quoted.
C. Initial Selection Samples: For initial selection of colors and textures, submit manufacturer’s color chart(s) showing full range of colors and textures available.
D. Samples: (optional) Provide minimum 3 inch (76MM) square sample of each color and texture selected.
E. Warranty: Submit a copy of manufacturer’s warranty.
F. Maintenance Data: Provide manufacturer’s instructions for care and cleaning of the finish. Provide manufacturer’s instructions for shelf relocation and/or spacing adjustments.
G. Reference List: Provide list of recently installed similar type of shelving projects.
1.7 QUALITY ASSURANCE
B. Manufacturing Qualifications: Engage an experienced manufacturer whose internal processes meet or exceed ISO 9001 requirements.
C. Installer Qualifications: Engage an experienced installer who is authorized by the manufacturer to install case-type shelving and has done so for a minimum of one year.
1.8 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
1.9 PROJECT CONDITIONS
B. Established Dimensions: Where field measurements cannot be made without delaying the work, establish dimensions and proceed with fabricating case-type shelving units without field measurements. Coordinate construction to ensure actual dimensions correspond to established dimensions.
1.10 SEQUENCING AND SCHEDULING
B. Schedule installation of specified case-type shelving after finishing operations; including painting have been completed.
C. Delivery, Storage, and Handling: Comply with all instructions and recommendations made by manufacturer or manufacturer’s representative for delivery, storage, and handling requirements.
D. Pre-installation Conference: Schedule and conduct conference on project site to review methods, procedures, and logistic details for installing case-type shelving units.
1. Owner’s Representative
2. Prime Contractor or representative
3. Architect, Engineer, or person responsible for the layout design
4. Manufacturer’s representative
5. Subcontractors or installers whose work may affect, or be affected by the installation of this shelving
1. Formed from steel sheet to tubular “T” (tee) shape posts for intermediate supports and tubular “L” (angle) shape posts for end supports. Posts shall have keyhole slots on inner wall only and shall have integrated double 24 gauge structural steel walls welded between the posts. Upright quantities, sizes, and types are to be determined by plan view and elevations.
a. Single unit (starter) and/or row end uprights on a range of shelving shall consist of two 1 inch (25 mm) wide 18 gauge cold rolled steel posts roll-formed into a tubular “L” formation. Keyhole slots shall be punched on the inner wall only located on 1-1/2 inch (38 mm) centers. There shall be no holes in the outside face surface of the posts. The front and back posts shall be joined by welding two 24 gauge full height panels by the nominal shelf depth to create a structural upright of the required depth and height. Case-type “L” (angle) uprights to be manufactured to heights specified.
b. Intermediate (adder) uprights located between and linking shelf sections within a range of shelving shall consist of two 2 inch (51 mm) wide 18 gauge cold rolled steel posts roll-formed into a tubular “T” formation. "T" uprights shall be used as a common upright between units. Keyhole slots shall be punched on the inner wall only located on 1-1/2 inch (38 mm) centers. There shall be no holes in the outside face surface of the posts. The front and back posts shall be joined by welding two 24 gauge full height panels by the nominal shelf depth to create a structural upright of the required depth and height. Case-type “T” (tee) uprights to be manufactured to heights specified.
1. Shelf shall be formed from 22 gauge cold rolled sheet steel with 5/8 inch (16 mm) flanges on all sides and a return hem on the front and back flanges for shelf depths of 9 inches (229 mm), 10 inches (254 mm), 12 inches (305 mm), and 13 inches (330 mm). Shelf shall be formed from 18 gauge cold rolled sheet steel with 5/8 inch (16 mm) flanges on all sides and a return hem on the front and back flanges for shelf depths of 15 inches (381 mm), 16 inches (406 mm), 18 inches (457 mm), 20 inches (508 mm), 24 inches (610 mm), 26 inches (660 mm), and 30 inches (762 mm). Shelves shall be independently adjustable on 1-1/2 inch (38MM) centers. If slotted, single entry shelves shall have two rows, and double entry 4 rows of slots to accept file divider tabs. If plain, no holes shall be permitted on shelf surface for shelf depths less than 18 inches (457 mm).
E. Canopy Tops:
1. Top shall be formed from 22 gauge cold rolled sheet steel with 5/8 inch (16 mm) flanges with a return hem on the front and back face. Must be plain, exhibiting no holes on surface and extend over the upright wall closing the gap between the two upright panels, thus preventing debris and unwanted items from getting trapped between upright walls.
F. Shelf supports:
1. Formed from heavy gauge sheet steel. 24 inch (610 mm), 30 inch (762 mm) and 36 inch (914 mm) widths shall be formed of 14 gauge and 42 inch (1067 mm) and 48 inch (1219 mm) shall be formed of 11 gauge hot rolled pickled steel to the specified width x 3/4 inch (19 mm) or optional 1-1/4 inch (32 mm) high with two additional return flanges to form a structural channel. A 13/16 inch (21 mm) flange at each end shall be left unformed to accept two shoulder rivets. Rivets shall be 7/16 inch (11 mm) diameter at the head, solid steel, and spaced to interlock into keyhole slots on the inner wall of upright post.
G. Nominal Shelf Dimensions:
1. Width: As indicated on the drawing(s). 22 inches (559 mm), 28 inches (711 mm), 34 inches (864 mm), 40 inches (1016 mm), and 46 inches (1168 mm) as required to best meet available room area and media dimensions.
2. Depth: As indicated on the drawing(s). 9 inches (229 mm), 10 inches (254 mm), 12 inches (305 mm), 13 inches (330 mm), 15 inches (381 mm), 16 inches (406 mm), 18 inches (457 mm), 20 inches (508 mm), 24 inches (610 mm), 26 inches (660 mm), and 30 inches (762 mm).
3. Shelf Edge Vertical Profile: 3/4 inch (19 mm) maximum.
4. Vertical Adjustment increment: 1-1/2 inches (38 mm)
5. Width of Intermediate uprights: 2 inches (51 mm)
6. Clearance Between Uprights: Nominal shelf section width minus 2 inches (51 mm)
7. Levelness of Completed Shelf Units: Maximum of 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) top to bottom, measured at any upright.
8. Number of Vertical Shelf Spaces: As indicated on the drawings.
9. Vertical Shelf-To-Shelf Spacing: As indicated on the drawings.
H. Load Carrying Capabilities:
1. Provide shelf units capable of supporting a minimum of 40 pounds per lineal foot (18 kg per 305 mm) with maximum deflection of L/140. Shelves shall exhibit no permanent deflection under fully loaded conditions.
I. Accessories: (optional)
1. Provide manufacturer’s standard. Location and quantity as indicated on the drawings.
a. Reference Shelves
b. File Dividers
c. Back Stops
d. Center Stops
e. Hinged Doors
f. Sliding Doors
g. Rolling (Tambour) Doors
h. Hinged Periodical Shelves (Magazine Door)
i. Fixed Periodical Shelves (Sloping Shelf)
j. Media Shelves
k. Newspaper Holder and Sticks
l. Label Holders
m. Wire Book Supports
n. Magnetic Book Ends (Magnetic Divider)
o. Aisle Ties
p. Wall Ties
q. Leveling Feet
At NationWide Shelving, we provide the highest quality products and services, and the absolute best value in our industry. Additionally, our sales and installation experts are professionals who have been trained to provide the most accurate information and the highest quality installation services in the industry.
For more details, call NationWide Shelving at 801-328-8788. Email us at Info@NationWideShelving.com
For our A1 Install service department (relocation and installation of office cubicles, material handling equipment, and shelving) call 801-456-9950.
You can also check out our other products "here"